Yes, you can use AOL’s software and email now – for free!
The emails about how to cancel and remove AOL are piling up in my inbox again – in fact, that’s nothing unusual – so let’s go over this one more time, folks:
You can use the AOL software that’s already on your computer, or download and use the latest AOL software from aol.com, and use AOL’s online email service for free since August of 2006. Find out how to cancel your monthly charge for AOL here. Scroll down the page linked to in the previous sentence to choose the cancellation method that best suits your needs. What follows are some exceptions:
Exceptions to Using AOL for Free
- If you still need to use AOL for a dial up connection you must pay a monthly fee for it.
- In the UK, if you still use AOL for a broadband cable connection you must pay a monthly fee for it.
- The US dial up and UK broadband connection plans each include an AOL web browser and email.
No, you do NOT need AOL’s software in order to use Roadrunner, Comcast – or any other ISP!
Don’t let AOL or your ISP fool you. Are you paying an extra monthly charge because AOL or your ISP told you that you must use AOL’s software in order to keep your connection to the Internet alive?
Unless you have one of the plans mentioned here (check with your ISP first) they are not telling you the truth. Learn how to cancel AOL’s monthly charge to your credit or debit card here. Scroll down the page linked to in the previous sentence to choose the cancellation method that best suits your needs.
Yes – AOL 9.0 VR and AOL 9.1 Probably Are Causing Your Connection Problems!
Not only have I had a lot of problems maintaining a connection with AOL 9.0 VR or 9.1 installed; so have other people. I get email every week on this. In my experience, AOL 9.0 VR and AOL 9.1 are the most likely culprits for being unable to make or keep a connection to the Internet on a clean computer that had no connection problems before installing AOL. The AOL Adapter used in those versions is most likely at fault.
To restore your Internet connection, follow the steps below, and follow them in the exact order they’re listed in.
General AOL Removal Instructions
- First remove AOL from XP with jv16 PowerTools – or remove AOL from Vista or Windows 7 with CCleaner – and be sure to follow all of the steps on those pages in the exact order they’re listed in.
- Next, remove the AOL Adapter.
- Next, reboot your computer and check your connection again.
- If taking those steps does not restore your connection, then AOL’s software might not be at fault, so take your computer to an authorized repair shop or seek help from a reputable online computer-help forum to try to determine what the problem is.
It’s True: AOL 9.0 SE Cannot Be Removed Using Any Normal Method Known to God or Man
I did find one safe way to get AOL 9.0 SE off your computer, though, and it’s not hard to do; just follow the instructions here.
This post has covered most of the questions that I get by email. Each and every one of these questions has been answered on my blog. If you want to email me with any questions not covered in this post I will simply refer you to one of my other FAQs. I will only respond in more detail if you ask a question that I haven’t answered yet at all. Thanks for reading!